3-4 Colcom Cambridge Sausages
3 Onions, peeled and finely chopped
2 Tbsl Olive Oil
2 Star Anise Pods (optional)
500g Self Raising Flour
1 cup Mature Cheddar Cheese, grated
3 Tbls Herbs, finely chopped, e.g. Rosemary, Thyme, Basil, Oregano
2 Tbls Sunflower Seeds
½ tsp Salt
1 cup Buttermilk/Lacto
½ cup Water
- Preheat the oven to 180° and line a medium loaf pan with baking paper.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet and sauté the onions and star anise over gentle heat for around 8-12 minutes until the onion is just soft and starting to turn golden. You do not want to brown the onion. Set aside and cool slightly. In the same pan gently sauté the sausages, when cooked cool, remove the skin and finely chop, set aside.
- Sift the flour and add the salt, cheese and herbs. Mix. Add the cooled onions and diced sausage and mix. Add the buttermilk and water gently mix with a wooden spoon until it forms a sticky dough.
- Spoon the dough into the prepared loaf tin and sprinkle the top with sunflower seeds, bake for 1 ½ hours until golden brown on top.
- The bread is done when tested with a sharp knife inserted into the thickest part of the loaf and it comes out clean.