6 Tbls Olive Oil
1 small Onion, finely chopped
2 Celery Stalks, finely chopped
1 Carrot, grated
400g Colcom Pork Mince
100ml Dry Red Wine
500g Passata * Recipe Below
5 Bay Leaves
Salt and Pepper
Kefalotiri Cheese, grated
- Heat oven to 150°C.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the onion, celery, carrot and fry gently until soft.
- Add the pork mince and stir to brown a little then add red wine and let the alcohol evaporate.
- Stir in the passata, add the bay leaves, salt and pepper. Cover and place in oven for 2 -2 ½ hours.
- Serve with pasta and grated kefalotiri.
- You can put all the vegetables (carrot, onion and celery) in a food processor and blitz into small pieces to help them cook down in the sauce.
1kg Tomatoes, halved or quartered
6 Garlic Cloves, halved
1 Tbls Olive Oil
1tsp Caster Sugar
Put the tomatoes, garlic, and olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, shaking occasionally until the tomatoes have completely collapsed.
Season generously and add the sugar. Remove the lid and boil for 5 minutes. Allow to cool and then sieve the pulp. You can now pour into freezer proof containers and freeze up to 3 months or keep in the fridge for up to a week.
Passata is used in sauces, stews and soups.