600g Pork Fillet, cut into 1.5cm cubes
Oil for deep-frying
60ml Light Soy Sauce
45ml Dark Soy Sauce
30ml Brown Sugar
1 clove Garlic
1 knob Ginger, peeled, julienned
5ml Sesame Oil
150g Self-Raising Flour
1tsp Baking Powder
Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
330ml Sprite, ice cold
- Whisk all the marinade ingredients together and mix through the pork: marinate for at least an hour in the fridge. Remove and let meat return to room temperature before cooking it.
- Mix the dry ingredients for the batter and beat in the Sprite gradually until just mixed.
- Drain the marinated pork and sprinkle with cornflour.
- Heat 750ml oil in a wok. Test temperature with a drop of batter (it must bubble immediately and not sink – but also it shouldn’t brown too quickly)
- Dip a few cubes of pork into the batter at a time and fry until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel and repeat until all the meat has been fried. Serve with a sweet and sour sauce on rice or noodles.