2 Tbls Vegetable Oil
800g Colcom Pork Shoulder, skin and excess fat trimmed, cut into 3cm pieces
1 large Onion, chopped
2 cloves Garlic, chopped
4 cm piece fresh Ginger, peeled and grated
1 lemongrass stalk, bashed
1 large Red Chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
1-2 Tbls Soya Sauce
1 tsp Chinese Five Spice
1 Tbls Brown Sugar
3 cups Beef Stock
150g Green Beans, trimmed, cut into 2cm lengths
250g packet Noodles
1 cup Bean Sprouts
½ Red pepper, thinly sliced
½ cup fresh Coriander leaves
Lemon or Lime wedges to serve
- Heat half the oil in a pot over medium high heat. Cook pork in batches until browned all over. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat remaining oil in the pot. Add onion, garlic, ginger, chilli and lemongrass stalk. Cook stirring for 5 minutes or until onion has softened and mixture is fragrant. Take care not to burn onions, turn down heat for this step if necessary.
- Return pork to the pot, stirring to coat. Add soy sauce, Chinese Five Spice, sugar and stock. Cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes. Remove lid. Cook for a further 30 minutes until sauce has thickened slightly and the pork is tender. Add the green beans and cook for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Meanwhile bring a large pan of water to the boil over high heat. Cook the noodles for 6-8 minutes or until tender. Drain. Add noodles to the pork mixture, tossing to combine. This would be a good time to remove the lemongrass stalk. Check seasoning.
- Combine bean sprouts, red pepper and coriander leaves in a small bowl. Divide Hot Pot Pork among serving dishes and top with sprout salad and serve with lemon or lime wedges.