125ml Chicken stock
1 clove Garlic, crushed
1 Bay Leaf
2 sprigs of Thyme
A knob of Butter, for greasing
800g Potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
2 Leeks, washed and thinly sliced
175g sliced Colcom Cooked Ham, chopped
85g Cheddar Cheese, grated
- Pour the stock, cream and milk into a saucepan, add the garlic, thyme and bay leaf and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat, cover and let the flavours infuse while you get on with the rest of the dish.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Butter a 2 litre gratin dish well. Mix the potatoes, leeks and ham together in the dish, and spread out in an even layer.
- Pour over the stock/cream mixture and tuck the bay leaf and thyme sprigs in the middle. Season and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Stand the dish on a baking tray to catch any spills. Loosely cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Test the potatoes with a knife – they should just be beginning to soften.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 35-45 minutes, spooning some of the stock/cream mixture over every now and again until the potatoes are tender.