Short Crust Pastry
1 ¼ cup All-Purpose Flour
½ tsp Salt
125g Butter cut into small cubes, chilled
1 Tbls White Sugar
¼ cup ice Water
2 Tbls Olive Oil
2 large Onions, sliced
Pinch of Salt and freshly ground Pepper
1 tsp Balsamic Vinegar
1 cup Ham chopped
1 ½ cups Mature Cheddar Cheese, grated
3 large Eggs
½ cup Milk
1 cup frozen or blanched Spinach, thawed and well drained
- Prepare the crust by placing flour, salt and sugar in a bowl and mix. Add the butter and using your fingers rub mixture until it resembles fine bread crumbs. Slowly add the iced water. The dough should hold together when pinched. Add a little more water if necessary.
- Gather dough into a dish, cover with plastic wrap and leave in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Remove dough from fridge and roll out to a 30cm circle. Fit it into a 20 round tart pan. Transfer to freezer to chill for at least an hour, as this helps the dough from shrinking whilst cooking.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, salt and pepper. Sauté onions until they have softened, about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally. Reduce heat to medium low and cook for an additional 20 minutes until the onions are browned but not burnt. Add balsamic vinegar and cook for 10 minutes more, until onions are completely caramelised. Remove from heat and place in a bowl.
- In the same pan, raise the heat. Add the ham and sauté for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and add to the onions.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place tart pan onto a baking sheet to catch any spills.
- Sprinkle half the cheese on the bottom of the tart shell. Evenly spread out the ham and onion mixture over the cheese. Sprinkle with remaining cheese on top.
- Mix eggs, milk and spinach and pour over cheese and filling in the tart case.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for about 30 minutes until the centre has set.
Let cool for 5 minutes. Serve warm with a salad.