1 large whole Chicken
1 Carrot, chopped
2 stalks Celery, chopped
2 Punnets Button Mushroom, sliced and sautéed in butter
1 Bay leaf
1 Onion, chopped
3 cloves Garlic, chopped
1 tsp Fresh Thyme Leaves
Salt and freshly Ground Pepper
2 Tbls Packet Mushroom Soup Powder, slaked in some warm water
250g Colcom Streaky Bacon, finely chopped
250ml Crème Fraiche or Sour Cream
2 Sheets Puff Pastry
1 Egg, beaten.
- Put the chicken, carrot, celery and bay leaf in a sauce pan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and simmer until tender. Remove the chicken (reserve the stocks for sauces and soups) and when cooled flake the meat, season with salt and pepper.
- Sauté the onions in some olive oil until translucent, add the garlic and thyme and fry until aromatic.
- Remove and fry the bacon in the same pan.
- Mix the chicken, bacon, salt and pepper, mushroom soup, sautéed mushrooms, garlic, thyme and onions with crème fraiche incorporating well and allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Roll out a sheet of pastry on a lightly floured board.
- Spray your chosen pie dish with Spray and Cook. Lay enough pastry to cover the bottom of your dish.
- Spoon the cooled filling onto the pastry and cover with remainder of your pastry. Press the edges of the top and bottom layers together firmly with your fingers or a fork. Decorate the top of the pie with remaining pastry.
- Brush the beaten egg over the top of the pie to give it a lovely golden brown colour.
- Make a hole in the centre of the pie so that steam can escape and bake until golden and cooked through, about 45 minutes to an hour.