1 Tbls Sunflower oil
6 rashers Colcom Streaky Bacon, trimmed and diced
1 large Onion, finely diced
1 large Red Pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
2 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
1 Red or Green Chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
225g Rice, rinsed
450ml Boiling Water
400ml can Coconut Milk
1 can Red Kidney Beans or Black-Eyed Beans
2 sprigs fresh Thyme
2 Tomatoes, diced
¼ tsp Salt
- Heat oil in a large pan and add the diced bacon and cook for 2 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring for 3 minutes or until softened. Reduce heat and stir in the red pepper, garlic and chilli and cook for a few minutes further.
- Stir in the rice, then pour in the boiling water and the coconut milk and add the salt. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat. Cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the drained beans and thyme, then cover and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes to the rice and continue to cook for a further 10 minutes or until the rice is just tender. The mixture should be a little sloppy.
- Remove the sprigs of thyme and serve in a serving bowl with chopped parsley or spring onion to garnish.