3 Tbls Butter
2 medium Onions, chopped
10 Slices Colcom Bacon, chopped
2 cups All Purpose Flour
2 tsp Salt
1 Tbls Baking Powder
½ tsp Black Pepper
1 cup Whole Milk
1/3 cup Olive Oil
2 cups grated Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Prepare and grease a loaf tin.
- In a large skillet melt the butter over medium heat and add the onions. Sauté, stirring occasionally until a deep golden brown and caramelised; about 30 minutes. Set aside to cool. In the same pan cook the diced bacon over medium heat, turning occasionally until crisp, about 10 minutes, drain on a paper towel.
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. In a medium sized bowl whisk together the milk, egg and oil. Slowly pour egg mixture into the flour, stirring until just combined. Gently fold in the cheese and reserved onions and bacon. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin.
- Bake until golden for about 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
- Set aside to cool for about 15 minutes then remove from the tin and cool completely.