500g Potatoes, peeled and cubed
500g Butternut, peeled and cubed
125g Colcom Bacon, fried until crispy
500g Cherry Tomatoes
175g Cake Flour
1 Egg Yolk, whisked
Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- Gently bring a pan of water up to the boil and add a tsp of salt.
- Add the butternut and potato cubes and cook using a rolling boil. It is better to slightly overcook the potato and butternut rather than under-cook it. Drain really well.
- Mash the potato and butternut together until it looks like puree, then heat with the butter in a sauce pan and stir until thick. Set aside to cool.
- Sieve the flour and add to the butternut and potato mixture, along with the egg yolk. Season well with salt and pepper. Mix well until a soft dough is formed.
- Divide the dough into four pieces and roll each one out into a sausage shape, about 1.5cm thick. Cut each piece into 2cm pieces to form gnocchi. Roll gnocchi in semolina and press each one gently with a fork to make lines. Cover lightly with cling film and refrigerate until needed. Do not keep gnocchi in the fridge for more than 3 hours, you do not want them to turn watery.
- Heat water in a large saucepan and add salt. When boiling place gnocchi in the water and cook for about 2-3 minutes or until they rise to the surface. Remove with a slotted spoon and stir a little olive oil through them.
- After frying the bacon crispy, add the tomatoes to the same pan for flavour and cook gently. You can carefully press the tomatoes with a wooden spoon to make sure they burst. Add a little brown sugar and season with salt and pepper.
- Place gnocchi on a platter and spoon the tomatoes over, then sprinkle with crispy bacon and shavings of Kefalotiri or Parmesan if you have.
Sprinkle over chopped Basil or Parsley and serve.